Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
fashion415
Style_council
fashion415

I’ve recently become a freelance stylist who is slowly building my styling portfolio while gaining clients. I would like to know if anyone who has succeeded in this field or is on their way to success can tell me what it’s like to actually follow this as a career or primary income? Where are you living? working for? etc.
Thanks!
M

posted over 9 years ago
chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

I can’t really offer you help, but I was considering this myself for a bit of side money. I think its a matter of putting yourself out there, though, and making yourself desirable in comparison to a professional. I’ll be keeping up with this thread though, I’d love some extra info too

posted over 9 years ago

ChantalHMB
Style_council
ChantalHMB

Hi there,

I’m a wardrobe stylist,living in Qatar in the Middle East. I mainly work on photo shoots for some local magazines. I’ve been doing this for few years now, and as much as I would love to do this full time, there isn’t a big enough demand here unfortunately for me to be working each day in styling. I have also had experience as a designer, but am now working with a production company full time (events management & film production) which has also opened a number of doors for me.

I am getting back in to my design work now, just working on a small collection, and hoping to reach more clients with this. As for the styling, as for as my experience has gone, it’s all about networking and more networking… I worked on a short film on the costumes, and through that met more people in film industry.. Through them they have a number of great contacts , I mean, you don’t have to just stick to fashion industry to network. Try production companies, try to work with costume designers, or also try advertising agencies. Through them I have worked on styling ad campaigns, both print and tv commercials.. Contact photographers, magazines, various media, even if they may not be looking right now for stylists, they can add you to their database… Through these ways, you will be reaching out to the wider market

Hope this helps ! C

posted over 9 years ago

the_ed
Style_council
the_ed

Thanks Chantal! I was also thinking about this + designing/creating limited quantity clothing & Accessories as a side job.

I might be able to answer any questions on a career in the cosmetics & beauty products field (Not a registered cosmetologist or aesthetician…yet.) if anyone is wondering.

posted over 9 years ago

fashion415
Style_council
fashion415

Thanks so much for the reply! That actualy does help. I’ve been networking like a mad woman and have realized that I’ve made more contacts than I thought! Styling is something that makes me happy so I can handle if it’s only a side job/hobby. Thanks for the advice!

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password